Police Blotter

Local man hit by vehicle, later sent to hospital

A local man was sent to the hospital after he was hit by a vehicle at 5:09 p.m. on Tuesday.

When police arrived at the intersection of Lake Avenue and Eighth Street they observed a vehicle driven by Lynn Hogrefe, 61, of Storm Lake, who was traveling north on Lake Avenue. Hogrefe hit a pedestrian, Andrew Brown, 20, of Storm Lake, who was crossing Eighth Street.

Brown was injured by the impact and was transported to Buena Vista Regional Medical Center by ambulance for treatment.

Brown was crossing Lake Aveune from the Super 8 Motel parking lot and moving towards East Eighth Street and was reportedly weaving in and out of traffic when the Hogrefe vehicle hit him.

No charges were filed. Hogrefe’s vehicle received $2,000 worth of damage.


Former employee steals cash from store

On July 8 police responded to the Liberty Food Service on North Michigan Street because of an apparent theft.

The Liberty Food staff advised police that a former employee, identified as Patrick Kruger, 43, of Alta, allegedly stole portions of cash over a period of time from February 2013 until May of 2013.

During that time, Kruger stole approximately $2,000 in cash for his own use.

After an investigation, at 5 p.m. on Tuesday Krueger was arrested and charged with second-degree theft. He was booked into Buena Vista County Jail on a $5,000 cash bond.


Wanted man arrested

On Tuesday morning at 11:44 a.m. the Storm Lake Police Department was sent to 703B West Eighth St. for a wanted person.

On arrival police located and arrested Rolondo Polendo, 31, of Storm Lake, on a warrant charging him with fifth-degree theft.

Polendo was booked into Buena Vista County Jail on a $300 cash bond.


Teen charged with forgery

A 16 year-old girl allegedly altered her paycheck from the Storm Lake Bakery in March and was arrested Wednesday.

On July 10 at 6 p.m. the Storm Lake Police Department took a report of forgery involving an altered payroll check and was then cashed at Central Bank.

Police arrested the girl and charged her with forgery and theft. She was processed and released to a parent. The case has been forwarded to the juvenile court authority.